What Is Lymphedema?
Lymphedema is characterized by swelling and fluid accumulation in the head, arm, leg, and/or trunk.
First Signs of Lymphedema:
- Tingling / Numbing
- Restricted Range of Motion
- Tight Clothing or Jewelry
How Is Lymphedema treated?
Lymphedema is most effectively managed with a combination of treatments called Complete Decongestive Therapy, which consists of the following:
- Manual lymph drainage to stimulate and redirect lymph flow through specialized massage
- Compression with bandaging, garments, and occasionally pumps
- Exercise to assist the muscle pump to move fluid and to improve motion and strength
- Skincare to maintain healthy tissue and prevent infection
Because early treatment is vital, it is important that individuals understand the symptoms and implications of lymphedema and begin treatment as soon as possible.